Skip to content

2011 Fitness Check In 2

January 12, 2011

With the first full week down, I feel it is only necessary to report how I have been doing and feeling.  It hasn’t been an easy week, not because of working out but because of schedules and technology.

I did an awesome job of working out Sunday through Thursday.  I did 30 Day Shred Sunday through Wednesday, even when I had a headache and B was in charge of pushing me to do it.  Thursday I did the Wii Fit for about an hour instead.  If you haven’t ever tried the Super Hula Hoop game, goodness it is a sweaty game!  I found myself out of breath and really tense after doing that game over and over again.  I really like the rhythmic boxing game as well for cardio.  Yesterday, I did 30 Day Shred again and have decided that I need to move on to level 2 this week.

So what happened to Friday and Saturday?  Life.  Life is what happened.  After work on Friday, I came home and decided that even though I knew I needed to work out, I needed a nap even more.  It had been an exhausting week (my body hadn’t adjusted to the new workout schedule yet) and I was taking B to a basketball game for his birthday.  By the time I got dinner ready and got out the door for the game, there wasn’t any time (not even twenty minutes!) to work out.  I did do some sit-ups after we got home, though.  Saturday was a similar situation.  B turned 25 on December 26, and since most people were visiting their families for the holiday (and our Jewish friends were out of town), we moved his birthday party to January 8.  I am a huge fan of birthday parties and believe that everyone deserves to have one if they want it.  We invited some friends over for dinner and games, and since B had to work on Saturday until 5 PM, it became my job to clean the apartment AND cook all of the food.  I didn’t mind, really, because I love spoiling B and I love cooking, but with the pressure of two of our friends showing up at any time after 2:30, I didn’t have a minute to spare.  Thankfully, most of the food I prepared was diet-friendly and helped make up for the fact that I didn’t get a chance to sweat it out.

As for food, I am still tracking my caloric intake through SparkPeople, and I have recommended it to other friends and coworkers.  I like being able to see just how many calories I am taking in, though I am not so fond of the fact that some foods don’t seem to exist on their system and I have to put them in myself if I want a true count.  I have tried very very hard to keep up with my water consumption and only failed to drink eight glasses yesterday.  Needless to say, my bladder has been working overtime.

Saturday and Sunday were the two days where I went over my calorie values for the day, and it was all because of the birthday cake.  That delicious banana chocolate chip cake with chocolate frosting that I want to roll in.  I hold myself completely accountable for eating it, and I believe that it was totally worth it.  Hey, birthdays only come around once a year, so why not enjoy the treat when I can?  I can certainly work to burn off those calories later this week.

As mentioned in the beginning, technology has played a roll in this past week’s trials and tribulations.  It’s easy to work out when you have a TV to play the DVD or Wii on.  It’s not so easy when you don’t.  Funny how that all works… Last night, just as B was turning off the FIFA soccer Wii game I bought him for Christmas, the TV decided it was ready for a nap.  After turning it on and off about half of a dozen times, we resorted to the fact the TV was on its last leg and probably dead.  I can still play DVDs on my computer, but the Wii would be out.  C’est la vie.  We searched online for new TV deals for about an hour.  As a last ditch attempt, B turned the TV on one more time.  And it worked!  My theory is that it knew we were looking at newer, better models, and it wanted to show that it could behave too.  We’ll be keeping a close eye on it and saving up for a new one as we go.

Finally, last night was the hardest.  Not because I didn’t want to work out.  Not because I went crazy with food.  It was hard because I was moody, hormonal, and, according to the Wii, I gained three pounds.  It’s heartbreaking to work hard every day, to count calories and make healthy meals, and then see that all of my work didn’t work and actually backfired!  I ended up crying on the couch in B’s arms for the majority evening about how I didn’t want to be the fat kid anymore.  Like the amazing husband that he is, he stroked my hair, said sweet things, and just let me cry until I was done.  I’m frustrated at not seeing results.  I know that it’s only been a week, but I want to see that my work is paying off.  I guess time with tell.

The stats:

Weight:  Up three pounds?!

Days I worked out:  6

Days I drank eight cups of water:  7

2 Comments leave one →
  1. January 12, 2011 2:45 pm

    Hang in there! I totally understand what you mean about wanting to see results. When I was actively doing 30 DS a few months before the wedding, I remember I didn’t lose much weight at all, but I WAS building muscle and toning up.

    I haven’t done my Week 1 recap yet- so ty for the boost of motivation 🙂

  2. Jen D. permalink
    January 12, 2011 6:24 pm

    Muscle weighs more than fat! Being healthy isn’t all about weight. If you are working out so much you are probably toning. Be sure to pay attention to how your body is looking and how your pants are fitting more than the numbers on the scale!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: